The establishment of the Berlin-Brandenburg research platform BB3R with integrated graduate education will strengthen the 3R expertise of the region Berlin- Brandenburg. Intensive systematic research will provide substantial progress in 3Ralternatives and excellent young scientists will be trained and highly qualified in alternative methods to animal experiments.
BB3R aims to accomplish the following goals:
- Establishment of alternative methods for preclinical drug development and basic research; facilitation of research collaborations and sustainable research activities in Berlin-Brandenburg
- Expansion of regional research activities by establishment of three junior research groups; successful candidates will be qualified for management positions in areas related to the 3Rs
- Sustainable establishment of the BB3R graduate school under the umbrella of the Dahlem Research School for structured training of graduate students who complete a specific mandatory course program on alternative test methods to animal experimentation and related fields in addition to the research project
- Creation of a pool of 3R experts for advice and assistance on BB3R research and administration
- Increasing the awareness of the society for 3R topics by open forums, by print and electronic media
The research platform BB3R and the established graduate school will fill substantial knowledge gaps in the 3Rs and alternatives to animal experimentation.